Image Source styleoga.it
In Sanskrit ‘Gomukh’ means ‘cow’s face’. The position of the foot in this posture is very similar to the shape of a cow face. That is why it is called Gomukhasana. It is called Cow Face Pose in English. It is extremely beneficial posture for women. These asanas are very beneficial in arthritis, sciatica, indigestion, constipation, metallic disease, diabetes, back pain.
Gomukhasana Yoga Method –
- To do this asana, sit in an open ventilated place in a Sukhasana or cross-legged posture on the mat.
- After this, pull your left leg towards your body and bring it slowly to you.
- After that put your right foot on the thighs of the left leg and pull it to your body.
- Now keep your right hand above the shoulder and from here, bend the elbow and take it as much as you can behind your back.
- Now, fold your left hand from here on the elbow and bring it from the side of the stomach back to the back.
- Now try pulling the two hands and mixing them together. And hold hands behind each other from behind.
- Now stay in this posture for some time and breathe 10 to 12 times.
- When you start getting uncomfortable in this situation, then you should come back to your initial position. For this, open both your hands and straighten your legs and relax.
Benefits of Gomukhasana
- Gomukhasana builds muscles of thighs, hips, upper back, upper arm and shoulders.
- Gomukhasana is an excellent posture for relaxation.
- If you practice it for 10 minutes or more, it will reduce fatigue, stress and anxiety, as well as keep in mind that the duration of the exercise should be increased gradually.
- It stimulates the kidneys and reduces the likelihood of diabetes in early life.
- It relieves back pain, sciatica, arthritis and general stiffness in the shoulder and neck.
- Opens the chest and improves your posture or normal sitting and standing posture.
- It reduces leg cramps and strengthens leg muscles.
- .If you have pain in shoulder, neck, knee, do not do this asana.
- If you are suffering from back pain, then you must consult a doctor before performing this asana.
- If you are pregnant, do not do this asana in the first three months of pregnancy.
- If blood is coming from your hemorrhoids, do not do this asana.
- Do not force the hands if there is difficulty in holding hands behind the back.
- If there is any kind of problem or pain in the spine, do not do this asana.
Things to keep in mind before performing Gomukhasana-(Important Notes)-
- For many people, initially, both hips often do not stick on the floor evenly. Because of this, it can be difficult to keep the knees on top of each other and the spinal cord is not able to straighten properly. If this happens to you, make a blanket fold under your hips so that both the hips are the same.
- If you have less flexibility in your shoulders, you may face difficulty in holding hands. If this happens, take a small towel, and hold each end with both hands.
- This asana is very beneficial for women. This asana is excellent for people who have poor, sciatica, indigestion, hemorrhoids, diabetes, and backache.
There are also many health benefits of doing yoga asana that you can get by joining 200 hour yoga teacher training in Rishikesh, India.